Saturday, November 04, 2006

New Attitude and Approach

I feel like an ass for not updating this blog in such a long time.
But the my other blog hasn't received any love either, save last week's
ramblings.

Since finding the method that works for me I have been able to maintain
183-185 without any problems. I continue to workout 3 days a week.
I now have what appear to be the makings of biceps and shoulders.
Learned a lot from some of the trainers and further reading about weight loss and
exercise. While lifting and heavy exercising place less emphasis on the scale and rely more on how you feel and how your clothes fit. (Total weight is not an accurate measure of fitness, your fat to muscle ratio should be the goal.)

Feel great and I'm back into pants that haven't seen the light of day in a long time.

What I'm going to try to do now is shift my training from building muscle towards more of an aerobic focus. More bike time and higher reps when lifting.
It is possible to lose muscle while trimming fat, the body has to have fuel and muscle is on the menu. (One of the dangers of solely focusing on the scale versus the "muscle to fat ratio".)

So my stats for this particular phase begin today, although I'm not going to set a target weight unless I manage to obtain an accurate way to measure body fat percentage. If I can do that I will set goals based around %.

Also I will try to update on a weekly basis.
I hope everyone is doing well!

Weight-185

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I periodically ke my head around the corner to see if you're still alive - nice to see a new post!

We got some scales a couple of weeks ago that measure fat percentage (I'm currently around 24.5%), but to be honest, I'm not that clear on how it all works. Any insights would be appreciated.

Are you going to post your fat-muscle percentage/ratio along with your weight?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Hi Kim,

Possibly if it's not too embarrassing. :)
What make and model did you purchase?
On a side note they operate by using a process called BIA or Bio-Electric Impedance Analysis. Actually it's a variant of BIA. Real "BIA Testing" uses electrodes hooked to your hands and feet, where as the scales use tiny pads. Anyway BIA measures your body fat by way of testing the electrical conductivity of your tissues. Lean tissues because of their high water content are very conductive, and offer low resistance.
Fat on the other hand is just the opposite. A low amperage is passed through the body and the amount of resistance "ohm's" is translated into % of body fat. {Sorry about the brief lesson on Ohm's Law}.
Anyway while accurate in one sense these devices can be erratic in another. Due in large part because they are based around your body's level of hydration. So if you have been out drinking or exercising heavily you might get one result while a few hours later you get another. So it's best to maintain the same routine while taking readings.
I'm personally in the market either a hand held model or the floor scale version. Please let me know how yours has faired and if the readings have been consistent.

Thanks!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

This is the one we got. It's not a hugely expensive one, but so far it seems to do the job. The fat percentage readings can vary a bit, but not too widely.

3:14 AM  
Blogger BlunderProne said...

SP... Blunder P here... is there any formal process to joining the Kotrb? I created an alternate blog " Sir Belly Jeans" ... here:
http://bellyjeans.blogspot.com/

I liked the online community support in my other quest ( ahh.. chess) and i think this seemed like a good start on my journey.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

How about a monthly update, at least?

It's December 5th today

1:18 AM  
Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Did I mention I'm slack?

Actually it is more in part to the
time of year. Work gets really busy
with folks wanting their projects completed before the start of the New Year.

Kim I'm working on a new post. :)

Blunder Prone welcome to the family.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home